Governor-General and Patron
HIS EXCELLENCY SIR COLVILLE NORBERT YOUNG G.C.M.G, M.B.E, Ph.D., J.P(S)
GOVERNOR-GENERAL OF BELIZE
Date of Birth: 20th November, 1932 (Belize City)
Marital Status: Married
Name of Spouse: Norma nee Trapp
Children: (1) Colville Ludwig, M.Sc (University of North Florida, USA)
- Lynn Raymond, MBA (University of Western Ontario, Canada)
- Maureen Emily Alegria, MBA (Lutheran University of California,USA)
- Carlton NormanSc. (University of California, Berkley)
1990 – 1993 Lecturer, University College of Belize 1986 – 1990 President, University College of Belize
1976 – 1986 Lecturer in English and General Studies Belize Technical College, Belize
1974 – 1976 Principal, St. Michael’s College, Belize
GUEST LECTURES (SELECTION):
1987 Murray State University, Kentucky, U.S.A. University of Western Kentucky, Kentucky, U.S.A.
1989 Signa Yorke Memorial Lecture, St. John’s College, Belize
1991 Valdosta State College, University of North Florida and Goshen College
- Michael’s College 1946 – 1950
- First Class Teacher’s Certificate 1955
- University of London/University College of the West Indies 1958 – 1961 A. (English, Hons.)
- University of York 1971 – 1973 D. Phil (Linguistics)
Belize Creole, A study of the Creolized English spoken in Belize in its Social and Cultural setting.
SEMINARS AND CONFERENCES (SELECTION):
1973 to present Organized or participated in numerous conferences and workshops dealing with Belizean Language, Literature and Music.
1980 Biennial Conference of the Society for Caribbean Linguistics (paper presented).
1989 Chair Prime Minister’s Study Tour Conference, organized to introduce young Belizeans to various aspects of their country.
1990 Biennial Conference of the Society for Caribbean Linguistics hosted by
U.C.B. (paper presented, round table participation).
MEMBERSHIP PAST OR PRESENT IN
- Belize Library Association (former Trustee)
- Association for Belize Archaeology
- Belize Historical Society (Trustee)
- Caribbean Teachers of English Association
- Society for Caribbean Linguistics
AWARDS AND HONOURS (SELECTION):
Arts faculty Prize UCWI 1959 Student of the year UCWI 1960 Appointed Justice of the Peace 1985
Member of the Order of the British Empire 1986
Outstanding Teachers Award, Anglican Cathedral College 1987 Prime Minister’s Citation for contribution to Belizean Culture 1988. Distinguished Graduate Award, UWI, 1998
University of North Florida Scholarship named in his honour, 1998 Hubbard College (Los Angeles) Scholarship named in his honour, 2001 Honorary Doctorate from York University (2003)
Received the Silver Wolfe Award from the Boy Scout Association of Belize (2004) Received the Paul Harris Award from Rotary International (2004)
Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from University of North Florida (2006)
Honorary Doctorate of Laws from the University of the West Indies (2006) Received the University of the West Indies Singers 50th Anniversary Award (2008)
Listed in WHO’S WHO IN THE COMMONWEALTH and/ MEN AND WOMEN OF DISTINCTION.
Member of Jury Panel for Gabriela Mistral Inter-American Cultural Prize, Music 1992 Grand Cross of the Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and St George, 1994.
Belize, Ministry of Education distinguished service award. Appointed Senior Justice of the Peace, 1994.
HOBBIES AND SELECTED EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
1. Steel Band Music – was a foundation member of first Belizean Steel-band. Founder, Beltek Steel Arranger, popular and classical music for steel-band.
2. Collecting and arranging Belizean folk-songs.
3. Musical compositions including Romance for Violin and Piano, performed internationally, and Missa Caribena, first Belizean setting of the mass; composer of the official song of welcome on the occasion of the Queen’s first visit to Belize; composer of the secular cantata “Ode to Independence” for Choir and
4. Creative writing (poetry, plays, short stories), first Caribbean writer to be translated into Chinese (Pataki Full 2015)
5. Founder, and former Conductor/Arranger of the UCB Steel-Band (Now the Pantempters Steel-Band).
6. Composer and Librettist of Tiger Dead, a folk
- CREOLE PROVERBS OF BELIZE (Belize 1980, Revised edition, Belize 1988)
- FROM ONE CARIBBEAN CORNER, Poetry (Belize 1983)
- CARIBBEAN CORNER CALLING, (Belize 1988)
- LANGUAGE AND EDUCATION IN BELIZE, (Belize 1989)
- Poetry and drama in various anthologies
- PATAKI FULL, ( Short Story Collection, Belize 1990, translated into Chinese 2015).
- Articles in
Belizean Affairs (St. John s College, Belize),
Journal of Belizean Affairs (Belize),
Belcast Journal (Belize)
Caribbean Dialogue (Barbados),
Handbook on World Education (Houston, U.S.A. 1991)
COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE COMPOSITIONS/ARRANGEMENTS
- Christmas in Belize Casette tape of the Missa Caribena and eleven Christmas compositions, performed by the Belize Choral (Now available on CD)
- My Homeland by the Sea cassette tape of 4-part arrangements of seventeen patriotic and folk-songs of Belize, performed by the Belize Choral
- Romance performed on a classical LP by Michael Grube, violin, and Igor Dekleva, Piano, recorded in
- Belizean Christmas Bram cassette tape of seven Christmas songs, performed by Brad Pattico and Val (Now available on CD)
- September in Belize cassette tape of seven songs in popular style with the over-all theme of nationalism and Belizean culture, also sung by Brad Pattico and Val (Also on CD)